What the heck is Soul Saga?
Soul Saga is a single player role playing game (or “RPG” to us nerds) for PC, Mac, and Linux. It’s inspired by all the awesome PlayStation and Nintendo classics and adds it’s own fresh twists!
It will be released for PC, Mac, and Linux. I’m also planning to attempt ports to the PlayStation 4, PS Vita, and WiiU after the Desktop version is complete. I will reveal more information regarding the ports once Soul Saga has jumped through all of the hoops required for getting port acceptance.
After Soul Saga’s very successful Kickstarter campaign we enhanced the art to make Soul Saga even more unique and beautiful.
When Do I Get To Play?
Soul Saga is still in development, and I will state a release date when everyone involved is absolutely-positively sure it’s all done and ready for your enjoyment!
Can I Pre-Order Soul Saga?
Yes! The Kickstarter is over, but you can pre-order the DRM free version of Soul Saga for PC, Linux, and Mac by using the widgets below. DRM-Free means that you don’t need any special CD Keys to get the game working. You just simply download and install it!
Your purchase will be made through a very trusted online store called Humble Bundle, which allows thousands of indie developers to easily get their games to you. A purchase grants you access to builds for the PC, Linux, and Mac through Humble Bundle when they are ready. In the meantime, you will also have access to a complimentary forum key that will grant you access to the Disastercake Forums where you can hang out with other Soul Saga fans.
Game Only (For PC, Mac, and Linux)
Game + Art Book + Sound Track
Game + Art Book + Sound Track + Beta Access
And this bundle is for those who would also like to be in the beta. This will allow you to get your voice heard when it matters most. The beta has already begun and you can get access immediately for PC, Linux, and Mac.
Soul Saga is a love letter to JRPG classics, and the comfort food of JRPG fans. Utilizing the classic JRPG formula as a base, Soul Saga is the culmination of 3 years of prototyping and testing of new elements by a single full-time developer and thousands of passionate fans. In addition, many artists around the world have contributed to Soul Saga to help give it the well rounded and polished art such a game deserves. With over an hour of original music tailored specifically for JRPG fans, Soul Saga is both a fun and artistic journey through a familiar, yet fresh, world.
Oterra was a once lush and vibrant world, but it’s surface is now wasted after the events of an ancient cataclysm. The planet is now split into 3 distinguishable layers: the Sky Islands of Medonia, the Tempest Reef, and the Surface World of Oterra.
This cataclysm was caused by a mysterious corruption called Ink that mutated the world’s creatures into monsters called Inkheart. The Inkheart ravaged society and mercilessly destroyed civilizations as they spread across Oterra. The last haven for humanity, Medonia, was saved by a mysterious man called the Philosopher. The Philosopher introduced the science of Alchemy to Medonia’s people and they took up arms using their new Alchemical powers, but it was too late. The Dragons of Oterra had succumbed to the Ink corruption and joined the assault against Medonia. As a last effort, the Philosopher used his powers to raise Medonia off of the planet and into the sky, setting it safely on the clouds above and out of the reach of the indomitable Inkheart.
And now… 300 years after it’s conception, the Tempest Reef is weakening, the Islands of Medonia are dying and falling from the sky, and an omen of catastrophic proportions has appeared. There are rumors of a passage called Cloud’s End that will allow a ship passage through the Tempest Reef to the surface world below. It’s assumed that one man found this passage, but left no trace of its existence behind. The Guilds of Medonia now search for Cloud’s End in hope to find a cure for their dying islands somewhere on the surface of Oterra.
Armed with alchemy and a mysterious sword, an ambitious young Guild Master travels the sky islands of Medonia in his new airship to uncover a way to save his homeland, but is he ready for the truth?
Help Mithos and Elise fight against the impending menace threatening the sky islands of Medonia with their guild of close friends and unlikely allies. Your own airship, classic turn-based combat, real-time airship combat, guild battles, crafting, and more await you in Soul Saga!
- Meaningful difficulty modes! Choose from either Cake, Vanille, or Jacked difficulty modes to match your play style and skill level! Soul Saga’s different difficulty modes go beyond the standard increased health and damage to also add new skills and intelligent decision patterns to many enemies!
- Innovative Strategic Combat! Soul Saga’s combat system first found inspiration from turn-based JRPG classics then evolved into its own unique system by allowing the player to choose exactly when they take their turn. In addition, every turn has a special buff or debuff granted to the person acting. By accumulating action points by either delaying turns or taking certain actions, you can control the flow of battle with well calculated strategies!
- Customize your skills! Utilizing the amber system, you can equip your characters with different ambers to enable them access to new skills!
- Synthesize magical amber! Collect and harvest almost any item from the world to craft amber! Utilize Soul Saga’s unique and experimentive alchemy crafting system to synthesize the purist amber possible by matching any combination of items to it’s alchemental formula. The closer you are to the base formula, the higher quality amber you’ll produce. Don’t know a formula? Just deconstruct an existing amber to learn its secrets!
- Transmute stronger weapons! Upgrade your weapon to unlock new slots, then transmute special items that can customize the stats of your weapon!
- Airship Exploration and Wonders! Free roaming airship exploration gives you the power to explore every nook and cranny of this vast world to uncover all of Medonia’s natural and historical wonders!
- Real-Time Airship Combat! You’re not alone in the skies, and your neighbors don’t like to share their space! Use your airship to wrest the skies from your airborne opponents and claim the treasure and glory you deserve!
- Cook Yummy Lunches! Soul Saga’s unique lunchbox system adds a desperately needed balance to the classic JRPG formula by allowing you more options to strategize in and out of combat! Lunches are utilized to heal, strengthen, deal damage, escape from combat, and more!
- An Epic Saga! The first of its series, Soul Saga is an epic so grand that it can only be told through multiple games!
Soul Saga was the first 3D JRPG launched on Kickstarter and gained immediate praise from new fans reaching over 300% of the original funding goal! The new budget allowed Soul Saga to enhance its art style and gameplay based on fan feedback, but was still too small to finance a large dev team. I then dedicated the next 3 years of my life working on Soul Saga as the only full time developer to bring you the best game I could. I sincerely hope that you enjoy my humble love letter to JRPG classics and that it can bring just a fraction of the irreplaceable joy we all experienced from the great games that inspired it.